Completed in 1995
‘Hill Garth’ is a prestigious development offering an interesting choice of individually designed three bedroomed homes around a delightful courtyard setting.
The site is located off the popular Cockerton Village Green in Darlington.
‘Hill Garth’ is not another developer’s contrivance. The name derives from the high green at Cockerton which was renamed ‘The Hill’ around 1924. The rear of the properties facing on to the North Green were called ‘Garths’, an archaic meaning for an enclosed garden, paddock or close.
Likewise, the homes designed for ‘Hill Garth’ are no contrivance. Our Architect’s began with a small infill site within the Cockerton Conservation Area. The homes designed reflect the traditional architecture of the existing Village Green: Natural clay pantiles, slate and lead for the roofs, stock bricks in lime mortar with contrasting artstone cills for the external walls and traditional sliding sash pattern windows. Hardwood finials on slate capped dormers and porch canopies add interest. And the ‘Piece de resistance’ is the entrance.
Substantial stock brick pillars with Artstone cappings and an Artisan craftsman purpose made wrought iron arch to the pedestrian access. The access road and footpath are finished in paver blocks with contrasting coloured edging. Comprehensive new and existing mature landscaping softens the private courtyard setting.